If you’ve ever been invited for breakfast at a Mexican household, visited Mexico or been to a great Mexican restaurant, you’ve probably tried them. Chilaquiles are a mouthwatering breakfast dish that can make anyone feel happy and full. This flavorful and comforting meal consists of crispy tortilla chips soaked in a zesty tomato sauce, topped with cheese, crema, and a variety of toppings. If you're a fan of Mexican cuisine and want to bring some authentic flavors to your kitchen just follow this simple recipe and make the Chilaquiles you were craving for!
1. In a large pan/skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and minced garlic and sauté until they become soft and fragrant.
2. To prepare the sauce, pour the tomato salsa or enchilada sauce into the skillet with the sautéed onions and garlic. Stir in the chicken or vegetable broth to thin out the sauce slightly. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place the tortilla chips for each serving on a plate and pour some hot sauce in them. You decide if you want to soak in all the chips or leave some still crunchy.
4. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the saucy tortilla chips. Then Drizzle some crema Mexicana (sour cream) over the plate and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro. The heat of the sauce will make the cheese melt.
5. Add all the toppings you want, the sliced avocado, the eggs, shredded chicken or meat you want to have with your Chilaquiles.
That’s it! Enjoy your chilaquiles with a hot cup of coffee or a refreshing glass of agua fresca. Buen provecho!